bullseye deluxe grease management. first cook rather disappointed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjonson

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Hi all. I just bought the bullseye. I dont understand how they can design this thing so well but completely overlook grease management. I slow cooked some bacon wrapped jalapenos and som e burgers then brought them temps up to 500 to sear the burgers. I had a horrible fire that brought my temps up to 800 last night. seems completely avoidable if they would just make a way for the grease to drain out of the cook chamber.

So far I am not happy with my purchase. does anyone have any advice for me?

The Bullseye is intentionally set up with just a diffuser as it is designed to get “direct flame” to the protein being cooked. If you want to do low and slow you’ll need to add a grease pan (see picture below) to keep the grease away from the flames. Even with the pan you’ll need to remove it before you jump the temp up to 500.
While several folks here successfully use the Bullseye for low and slow cooking many, if not most, of us who have a Bullseye use it for hot cooks only. When you cook a steak at 400 degrees the fat burns off as it hits the diffuser. I wish Recteq would be more clear about how this particular grill works.
1719241274235.png

that is a bit disappointing because it severely limits the usable surface area. I had the grate filled with bacon wrapped jalapeno and burger patties for a low and slow cook.

poppers were ready and burgers were ready to sear. apparently the base of the grill was filled with bacon grease.

I assume blocking airflow with a grease pan that is too big will be a problem

The Bullseye is intentionally set up with just a diffuser as it is designed to get “direct flame” to the protein being cooked. If you want to do low and slow you’ll need to add a grease pan (see picture below) to keep the grease away from the flames. Even with the pan you’ll need to remove it before you jump the temp up to 500.
While several folks here successfully use the Bullseye for low and slow cooking many, if not most, of us who have a Bullseye use it for hot cooks only. When you cook a steak at 400 degrees the fat burns off as it hits the diffuser. I wish Recteq would be more clear about how this particular grill works.
View attachment 22176
I can't find this pan in Recteq.

I don’t know. They sell the old Matador pan as an insert and it completely fills the opening and they aren’t worried about airflow. On low and slow it may not be a problem.

that is a bit disappointing because it severely limits the usable surface area. I had the grate filled with bacon wrapped jalapeno and burger patties for a low and slow cook.

poppers were ready and burgers were ready to sear. apparently the base of the grill was filled with bacon grease.

No, it will not be a problem. I've smoke ribs on the low setting(200) with a pan that size at the bottom. Unless your pan literally fills the whole area and it air tight, it won't be an issue. I have a stainless pan I got from smokeware made for the green egg that works great on a drip pan.

I don't know if you were aware when the Weber came out with their pellet smoker and didn't have a drip pan and they "claimed" it did not need one and then later back tracked and said yeah, use one.

No, it will not be a problem. I've smoke ribs on the low setting(200) with a pan that size at the bottom. Unless your pan literally fills the whole area and it air tight, it won't be an issue. I have a stainless pan I got from smokeware made for the green egg that works great on a drip pan.

I don't know if you were aware when the Weber came out with their pellet smoker and didn't have a drip pan and they "claimed" it did not need one and then later back tracked and said yeah, use one.
Does it affect the functionality by covering up the holes in the heat deflector?

Does it affect the functionality by covering up the holes in the heat deflector?
If you are just smoking on a low temp, no. Perhaps if could affect getting to high temps but no issues with low/225/250/275 for smoking.

I have this: https://www.amazon.com/SMOKEWARE-St...&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345022655481&th=1

I can not remember if it is the 14 or 18 inch. But any pie pan or disposable aluminum pan would work. The pan should not be completely covering the heat diffuser but most of it if with space along the edges for air flow.

I bought the Bullseye drip pans from recteq when I ordered my 380x. They are about 15 inches in diameter and a little over 3 inches tall around the upper lip. The bottom is not 15 inches and does not cover all the holes in the heat deflector. I have not experienced any problems with "functionality", nor have I seen problems as you have speculated about. I am looking for a less expensive item for a drip pan. Several have been suggested in this thread.

Thank you all great suggestions!

I have so far reverse seared several ribeyes, cooked some burgers and am now smoking a brisket. This grill does seem to be quite versatile.

for the drip pan I took a disposable turkey pan and cut it shorter. seems to work.

Thank you all great suggestions!

I have so far reverse seared several ribeyes, cooked some burgers and am now smoking a brisket. This grill does seem to be quite versatile.

for the drip pan I took a disposable turkey pan and cut it shorter. seems to work.
Git-er-done!

Yes, the Smokeware is the one I use. Works prefect. The 380 is the best grill made in my opinion. I use mine five or six days a week. By far most of my cooks are not low and slow, but it does low and slow just fine. You just can't do a low and slow and a hot and fast at the same time at the temps you were using (unless you remove the drip pan as previously stated).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back