Looking for Suggestions for New Things to Grill/Smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That smoked queso has me intrigued as well. Any advice on that?
It was damn good!

Recipe called for 1 lb chorizo. I used spicy Italian sausage as that is what I had.

Next came the large white onion (used half) that was smoked and chopped, two smoked poblano's chopped, 5 raw jalapeno's seeded and chopped, 2 cans Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles verson), 32 ounces of Velveeta queso blanco, and 16 ounces of pepper jack cheese and off to the smoke box it went!

Stir smoked cheese skin into the pool every 30 minutes or so.

I cooked the sausage before hand. So it’s done whenever you say it is.
I found the longer it stayed in the smoke box, the peppers and onions softened. The smoke didn’t become excessive.

Worth a try trust me.
123_1.jpeg

123_1.jpeg

1717963933549.jpeg

Last edited:
I may have to try one of those meat loaf pans. I have a Lodge cast iron loaf pan that I’ve used forever, but I don’t like that the loaf just sits in the fat. If the drip tray works in the Lodge pan, that might be perfect!

I only get the pre-made spam sandwich slices and keep them in the fridge. I make sandwiches with mayo & mustard. My mom use to make a spam spread that was awesome.
I sometimes make a sandwich spread with canned corned beef…mayo, mustard, pickle relish, and chopped hard boiled eggs. Sounds crazy but tastes pretty good. Another way tobusebupvthe canned meats (and other canned products) that I keep in my hurricane stash. Gotta rotate that stuff out once hurricane season is over. 😊

I sometimes make a sandwich spread with canned corned beef…mayo, mustard, pickle relish, and chopped hard boiled eggs. Sounds crazy but tastes pretty good. Another way tobusebupvthe canned meats (and other canned products) that I keep in my hurricane stash. Gotta rotate that stuff out once hurricane season is over. 😊
Imma going to need some tips on hurricane preparedness! Ready for tornadoes? Got that info in my toolkit, hurricanes, not so much!

Imma going to need some tips on hurricane preparedness! Ready for tornadoes? Got that info in my toolkit, hurricanes, not so much!
If I remember correctly, you’re in Beaufort County. I’m in Charleston County and our county website has this: https://www.charlestoncounty.org/departments/emergency-management/index.php

And this: https://www.charlestoncounty.org/de...cane-guides/Hurricane-Guide-English.pdf?v=500

I’m sure Beaufort has something similar.

Call it stupid but we don’t usually leave. So having shelf staple items on-hand help get us through when there’s no electricity. We didn’t have electricity for a little over two-weeks after Hugo in ‘89. All the refrigerator and freezer items get cooked (gas grills, etc) first. We, the neighbors and us, ate well those first few days as everyone is thawing and cooking all their meats. 😊

But I digress…I’ve got a Honda EU2000 generator after Hugo and can now keep a refrigerator and freezer going and can kick off my pellet grill to cook if needed.

It was damn good!

Recipe called for 1 lb chorizo. I used spicy Italian sausage as that is what I had.

Next came the large white onion (used half) that was smoked and chopped, two smoked poblano's chopped, 5 raw jalapeno's seeded and chopped, 2 cans Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles verson), 32 ounces of Velveeta queso blanco, and 16 ounces of pepper jack cheese and off to the smoke box it went!

Stir smoked cheese skin into the pool every 30 minutes or so.

I cooked the sausage before hand. So it’s done whenever you say it is.
I found the longer it stayed in the smoke box, the peppers and onions softened. The smoke didn’t become excessive.

Worth a try trust me.
View attachment 22054

View attachment 22055
View attachment 22056
That one is going in my recipe book. 😊. Again, thanks for the detailed photos.

So as a FYI, Wild Fork appears to have some pretty good price deals this week. The Cowboy and Tomahawk ribeyes seemed to be less than normal per pound. I bought Choice Angus ribeyes for $15/lb, and St. Louis spare ribs for under $3/lb. Might provide some ideas for something new to grill/smoke.

Good advice. We are prepping with the intent that we won’t leave either. Have a generator in mind, and are upgrading the house with hurricane shutters.
I have been in both hurricanes and tornadoes and at least with a hurricane you can prepare. I have many friends that went through Katrina. Some lost everything others not but all now have whole house V8 natural gas generators that kick as set up. They say the neighbors hate the noise but love the hot coffee, hot showers and phone recharging.

Was that a skin off belly. It looks like it but the cross-hatch is throwing me off.
It was skin off. Right or wrong I decided to cut a ~2x2” grid both sides about 1/4” deep. Probably not needed on the meat side.

I have been in both hurricanes and tornadoes and at least with a hurricane you can prepare. I have many friends that went through Katrina. Some lost everything others not but all now have whole house V8 natural gas generators that kick as set up. They say the neighbors hate the noise but love the hot coffee, hot showers and phone recharging.
I can appreciate that. At the time of Hugo, my old house was all electric. Neighbor across the street had a gas water heater. They were generous letting my wife and kids shower. A few years later, when my water heater went bad, I put in a gas water heater. In 2018, I moved about 3 - 5 miles further inland into a natural gas community. I’m loving it. I just hope I can keep this president and federal government from shutting down natural gas. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back