Pellet Recommendations

New to Rec Tec. I was looking for some general pellet recommendations such as best value, clean burn, ect. Or more importantly pellets to stay away from.
I realize there’s no shortage of responses here and you’ve likely made your choice by now, but here’s my opinion. I wouldn’t recommend the Pit Boss brand. A friend of mine bought me a bag as gift and I have to say, they left much more ash in the grill than RECTEC and Traeger pellets did under similar cooking conditions (temp/time). I’ve only used the three types of pellets mentioned, but do plan on trying Lumberjack. Until then RECTEC brand is a winner for me Traeger brand is a close second.

and in my neck of the woods is Bear Mountain which I have used for a long time with no problem and a recent arrival of Smokehouse. I got a bag of apple and there is NO dust in the bottom of the bag at all. Great looking pellets if that is a indicator and under 9 buck for 20 lbs.

I’d say Limberjack and Smoke Ring pellets are my go to pellets. Both have a very clean burning. Smoke Ring pellets I think may be a little cleaner burn than lumberjack but both are really great. I pick up 40# bags of either for about $24 from a place called BBQHQ in Semi Valley, Ca. Bigger chain stores charge too much.

I realize there’s no shortage of responses here and you’ve likely made your choice by now, but here’s my opinion. I wouldn’t recommend the Pit Boss brand. A friend of mine bought me a bag as gift and I have to say, they left much more ash in the grill than RECTEC and Traeger pellets did under similar cooking conditions (temp/time). I’ve only used the three types of pellets mentioned, but do plan on trying Lumberjack. Until then RECTEC brand is a winner for me Traeger brand is a close second.
I’m a lumberjack fan. Rec Tec good, too. Cost gets to be an issue. Need balance of good hot burn, little ash and good price.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back