Smoke Box for smoking sausage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedT

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Has anyone had any experience with the RecTeq Smoke Box smoking sausage? I have an RT-1250 and am hesitant to attempt to smoke sausage with it, since the minimum set temp is 180℉.
I understand the smoke box temperature is not PID regulated, but according to my limited info, the lower shelf of the box is significantly lower.
Would be interested if anyone has any experience with the RecTeq smoke box.

I have an RT1250 with smoke box.

At 180F setting, the upper gage reads around 170 while the lower reads around 145/150.

I did smoked cheese one time. I put the controller in fan test mode and used a smoke tube filled with pellets. From memory it was late fall (cool outside) and I think the cold smoke box gages were in the 70-80F range.

I have an RT1250 with smoke box.

At 180F setting, the upper gage reads around 170 while the lower reads around 145/150.

I did smoked cheese one time. I put the controller in fan test mode and used a smoke tube filled with pellets. From memory it was late fall (cool outside) and I think the cold smoke box gages were in the 70-80F range.
I believe when I checked this myself, my smoke box temps were slightly less, but the above temps and practice is a solid starting point. BTW, the door thermometers are not accurate enough if you are smoking where temps is critical. Use a probe to measure at the grate, and the lower grates do run cooler.

Thanks for info. For smoking sausage, smoke box may not be the way to go.
I suspect that also. Now if you want to go really cold smoke, you can use a smoke tube and just run the fan on the recteq. Works great for cheese and spices/salt, limited application otherwise.

I believe when I checked this myself, my smoke box temps were slightly less, but the above temps and practice is a solid starting point. BTW, the door thermometers are not accurate enough if you are smoking where temps is critical. Use a probe to measure at the grate, and the lower grates do run cooler.
I have Lavalock seals on the smoke box door and the RT1250 lid. Maybe this explains some of the temperature disparities.

I didn’t think the fan is necessary for a cold smoke. I enjoy the amazin maze, ideally meat is top rack if you have one and maybe you need multiple sessions to get the level of smoke you want.
No diffuser. No drip tray. Smoke tray/tube on the bottom of your smoker.

I didn’t think the fan is necessary for a cold smoke. I enjoy the amazin maze, ideally meat is top rack if you have one and maybe you need multiple sessions to get the level of smoke you want.
No diffuser. No drip tray. Smoke tray/tube on the bottom of your smoker.
I’ve found that keeping the smoke tube burning is a lot more consistent with the fan running.

I have not done the pellet door. What does adding Lavalock to the pellet door achieve? Eliminate potential for burn back? Sorry for the thread derail.
I think it helps to keep the pellets dryer from humidity. Can’t really say if it does, but it takes little time and material to do. Another benefit for me, is I like that soft touch feel and quiet sound when these doors are not closed metal on metal.

I’ve found that keeping the smoke tube burning is a lot more consistent with the fan running.
MAYBE the maze allows more air to the pellets than a closed up tube? Just guessing. I’ve done fan on, fan off - both worked for me. I bought the maze before the tubes got real popular. I can get about 12 hrs of smoke from the maze.
If you don’t have a top shelf, you may want to use the diffuser to shield the meat right above the tube.

I suspect that also. Now if you want to go really cold smoke, you can use a smoke tube and just run the fan on the recteq. Works great for cheese and spices/salt, limited application otherwise.
Right, but what is the point of the smoke box then? I was thinking about getting the smoke box, but i am just not sure.. its not really a smoke box or anything like that. its just an extender to the smoker really. They should of build in some kind of damper or something to control the temps.. if even possible

Right, but what is the point of the smoke box then? I was thinking about getting the smoke box, but i am just not sure.. its not really a smoke box or anything like that. it’s just an extender to the smoker really. They should of build in some kind of damper or something to control the temps.. if even possible
It’s not a cold smoke box-I’d recommend not getting one if that is what you are looking for. recteq used to call it that years ago, but changed their marketing when people complained. That doesn’t make the smoke box pointless for smoking that doesn’t require it be a cold smoke. I’ve probably used mine most often when I wanted it to be a warmer or to cook something at lower temp than the main chamber.

I’ve use my “cold smoke box” more as a warning drawer and for making smoked queso.

Only did smoked cheese via the the smoke tube and fan method.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back