Auger stopping after about 30 seconds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludakit

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Good evening y’all. We bought a house where there is an amazing back patio with outdoor kitchen. Part of that is a Bullseye 380.

I’ve never had a RT so I was thrilled to try it out. However, I noticed it wasn’t firing up, tried a ton of things and realized it was an Auger jam.

Cleaned that out, got everything put back together and fired it up. The Auger turns, but stops every 30 seconds. I know it’s not a jam because if it cut it off and back on, it works again until it stops again.

I have no idea what this might be and there’s not a ton of info out there on this issue.

Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks in advance.

Is the igniter lighting the pellets? Have you tried putting a small handful of pellets in the fire pot before turning the grill on?

Is the igniter lighting the pellets? Have you tried putting a small handful of pellets in the fire pot before turning the grill on?
Man, I feel so dumb. Apparently that’s all it needed. I assume because it’s a safety measure?

Threw a handful of pellets in there to light it (I’d tested the igniter previously so I knew it worked), and it steadily climbed temp to 500.

Thanks so much for your help! And if y’all have any resources you use for cooking on this thing, please let me know.

Thanks again!!!

In the future if you just let it run long enough, eventually pellets will make their way into the firepot. Startups are just quicker if you throw a handful in the firepot after cleaning.

Glad that took care of it. These grills do have a bit of a learning curve to them. No need to feel dumb; we’ve all been there at one time or another. The fact that you figured out the auger jam and fixed it is impressive.

I don’t have a 380, so can’t offer any grill-specific tips but there are a lot of 380 users on this forum. So, my best advice is to do just what you did; post your questions here. There are a a bunch of friendly and knowledgeable folks here willing to help.

Welcome to the forum—and to pellet grilling.

Last edited:
Thanks y’all. Going to throw some steaks on it tomorrow and just give it a go. Eventually, I want to jump in and make a brisket, but I’m a long ways away from that.

I’ll definitely stick around and ask the questions. Brand new to pellet grilling so I know I’ll have them.

If you start and stop it a few times it will prime the pot with pellets.

I have had the auger jam and clog up a few times. If you google how to unjam a bullseye grilll there is a video that shows the easy way to remove the auger motor and auger. The one I found had 2 videos that referred to each other.

if I were to do it again I wouldn’t buy a Bullseye. They are very temperamental and basically a POS.

Just be aware that, generally speaking, the auger doesn’t turn 100% of the time. It will run for a time to put enough pellets in the fire pot to get the fire started…except when it needs to be primed first (as noted above). After the fire is ignited, the auger turns as needed for the heat in the cooking chamber to achieve and maintain the level that you’ve set on the control panel.

Welcome to the forum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back