Fire back along auger to fire box.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frawil

Last night I did tri tip at 350 for about an hour. When ready, I turned off the grill and it went into shut down mode. I checked back later in evening and a lot of smoke, even out of the pellet hopper. Still fire in the pot and smoldering pellets even in hopper. What did I do wrong? I spent today cleaning the entire grill. BTW, anyone have an easy way to empty the hopper on a RT590?

Last night I did tri tip at 350 for about an hour. When ready, I turned off the grill and it went into shut down mode. I checked back later in evening and a lot of smoke, even out of the pellet hopper. Still fire in the pot and smoldering pellets even in hopper. What did I do wrong? I spent today cleaning the entire grill. BTW, anyone have an easy way to empty the hopper on a RT590?
How often do you clean out the firepot? My only thought is that the firepot overflowed. As for emptying the hopper, a shop-vac is just about the only reliable way to do it, other than scooping what you can out and then letting it burn through whatevers left.

These grills don’t seem to like being turned off when the temperature is above 250F or so. I had burnback occur a couple of times early on and now reduce the temperature to less than 250F before turning the grill off. Never a problem since.

As for emptying the hopper, many of us use a small, dedicated “Bucket Head” vacuum from Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Oh, and more than a few of us have removed the grid at the bottom of the hopper to allow access to the auger tube. I can’t officially recommend that procedure, however, since it involves removing a “safety feature.” :rolleyes:

This is probably going to make it more difficult to decide what to do, but I have to disagree with @Jim6820. The only times I've experienced backburn are when I did a very high temp cook, and then staggered the temp back down before shutdown. If I just shutdown from high heat when I'm done cooking, I've had no issues. But also know that @Jim6820 is an EXCELLENT source of knowledge here. I've learned many things from reading his posts!

This is probably going to make it more difficult to decide what to do, but I have to disagree with @Jim6820. The only times I've experienced backburn are when I did a very high temp cook, and then staggered the temp back down before shutdown. If I just shutdown from high heat when I'm done cooking, I've had no issues. But also know that @Jim6820 is an EXCELLENT source of knowledge here. I've learned many things from reading his posts!
Interesting…and, certainly no offense taken here for disagreeing with me; my wife does it all the time. ;)

I rarely do cooks over 300F on my RT-340/Trailblazer (that’s what the Napoleon gasser is for), so haven’t had the experience you’ve had. That’s what makes life interesting with these little rascals; always something new and different.

My advice to @frawil is simply to try it both ways and see what works best.

These grills don’t seem to like being turned off when the temperature is above 250F or so. I had burnback occur a couple of times early on and now reduce the temperature to less than 250F before turning the grill off. Never a problem since.

As for emptying the hopper, many of us use a small, dedicated “Bucket Head” vacuum from Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Oh, and more than a few of us have removed the grid at the bottom of the hopper to allow access to the auger tube. I can’t officially recommend that procedure, however, since it involves removing a “safety feature.” :rolleyes:
Thanks!

Well.......I also say to throttle down the temps before shutdown, MANY more than a few here have had ZERO issues since doing that. I shut down religiously at 235, that is less of a hot fire/flames/pellets to be burning out, then the pellets adding to the pot on shutdown will snuff out any potential embers. All of this works best with a firepot not full of ash build up, as the pellets will stack up higher and closer into the auger.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back