Front Shelf Modification

Jfdiguy

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
I never liked the front shelf being lower than my smoker opening so I recently made a couple of brackets and moved the shelf up to just under the front opening. I started with 2" box tubing, took some measurements, traced and cut the curves with a 4" hand grinder, and drilled the appropriate holes. The bottom of each bracket is held on by the leg bolt and the top is held on by one of the two shelf bracket mounting holes. I used a couple of washers to space the top of the bracket away from the smoke barrel a bit to minimize any heat transfer and used SS nuts and bolts to mount the shelf to my brackets. The function of the shelf is the same but is now in a better location to load and unload the smoke chamber.

Back of Bracket.jpg

Both Brackets.jpg

Side of Bracket.jpg

Washer.jpg

Washer Close-up.jpg

Mounted shelf.jpg

Mount Closeup.jpg

Front View.jpg

I never liked the front shelf being lower than my smoker opening so I recently made a couple of brackets and moved the shelf up to just under the front opening. I started with 2" box tubing, took some measurements, traced and cut the curves with a 4" hand grinder, and drilled the appropriate holes. The bottom of each bracket is held on by the leg bolt and the top is held on by one of the two shelf bracket mounting holes. I used a couple of washers to space the top of the bracket away from the smoke barrel a bit to minimize any heat transfer and used SS nuts and bolts to mount the shelf to my brackets. The function of the shelf is the same but is now in a better location to load and unload the smoke chamber.

View attachment 18650

View attachment 18651

View attachment 18653

View attachment 18654

View attachment 18655

View attachment 18656

View attachment 18657

View attachment 18659
nicely done.

That looks really nice and can't even tell it didn't come from the factory that way!

I personally wish the shelf was lower in relation to the door than it is at the standard height. Every time without fail I will go in the house grab the pan and put my pan with food on the shelf and then have to move the pan because it's in the way of the door opening and closing. Would be really nice if Recteq made multiple hole sets so you can install the shelf at the height you want it at.

View attachment 18650

View attachment 18651

View attachment 18653

View attachment 18654

View attachment 18655

View attachment 18656

View attachment 18657

View attachment 18659
Nicely done! I like the attention to detail, like tack-welding the washers in place and grinding the curves in the tube section smooth. Things like that tell me you do quality work. And, it would seem that this modification makes the shelf more functional as well. Well done, indeed!

Looks great. Just wish I had easy access to a welder sometimes to make things. I like to weld (especially TIG) but don't have the equipment at my house.

View attachment 18650

View attachment 18651

View attachment 18653

View attachment 18654

View attachment 18655

View attachment 18656

View attachment 18657

View attachment 18659
I think you just came up with RT’s version 3.0.

Looks great. Just wish I had easy access to a welder sometimes to make things. I like to weld (especially TIG) but don't have the equipment at my house.
There’s some crazy cheap combo boxes out there. Stick/Tig/Plasma cutter for under 500. Cheap is kinda relative; but you probably know the big welders can be 10k plus.

There’s some crazy cheap combo boxes out there. Stick/Tig/Plasma cutter for under 500. Cheap is kinda relative; but you probably know the big welders can be 10k plus.
Harbor Freight is your friend 😁

That looks really nice and can't even tell it didn't come from the factory that way!

I personally wish the shelf was lower in relation to the door than it is at the standard height. Every time without fail I will go in the house grab the pan and put my pan with food on the shelf and then have to move the pan because it's in the way of the door opening and closing. Would be really nice if Recteq made multiple hole sets so you can install the shelf at the height you want it at.
I did flip the bull horn handles outward to reduce the interference I was having opening the lid with a big pan on the front shelf. That has been helpful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back