Meat Grinder Recommendation

I've got the LEM 1158 and it works great for what I consider home grinding needs, mostly home ground beef. I'll do 10-20 pounds at a rattle. It's not quiet, but then I don't think most working machines are. However, that's an assessment sort of like comparing smoke level preferences, or spice blends, or anything that is more subjective than tightly defined. I've still got my KA mixer attachment but will never use it again. The LEM works SOOOOOO much better, and faster with ability to use long strips of meat instead of small cubes. Two suggestions regardless of brand; it's highly recommended that you get matched sets of cutting blade and plate as they tend to "grind" a face pattern and switching causes tiny irregularities that shorten blade life. Also stainless parts are best. The other accessory that makes grinding/sausage filling better is a foot pedal; basically a secondary on/off switch.

I've got the LEM 1158 and it works great for what I consider home grinding needs, mostly home ground beef. I'll do 10-20 pounds at a rattle. It's not quiet, but then I don't think most working machines are. However, that's an assessment sort of like comparing smoke level preferences, or spice blends, or anything that is more subjective than tightly defined. I've still got my KA mixer attachment but will never use it again. The LEM works SOOOOOO much better, and faster with ability to use long strips of meat instead of small cubes. Two suggestions regardless of brand; it's highly recommended that you get matched sets of cutting blade and plate as they tend to "grind" a face pattern and switching causes tiny irregularities that shorten blade life. Also stainless parts are best. The other accessory that makes grinding/sausage filling better is a foot pedal; basically a secondary on/off switch.
@Uncle Bob that's the one I'm leaning towards. My only concern was the noise level which so many people complain about. But it does have excellent reviews. There has been such great information here from everyone. And thank you for your suggestions/tips on accessories. I was on the fence about those. I will definitely order the matching cutting blades and foot pedal.

@BethV I hear you on the noise concerns (he, he, he). But I've grown somewhat cynical about the value of many online feedbacks as I think we've talked about on here before. The well known ones like people complaining about cast iron or carbon steel pans being of "inferior materials" because they rusted badly after the first time that commenter ran them through the dishwasher.:rolleyes: If I have first hand experience with a product or product type it's sometimes easy to spot the worthless feedbacks. On other products less familiar the more thoughtful commenters usually frame some manner of context so that you can have somewhat more confidence in their evaluation.

What may be at play with something like these meat grinders is the gearing. For moderate and up volumes of meat, plus partially frozen as is the best recommendation, I opted for an all metal geared unit that is more likely to survive long use over the plastic geared products that most homeowners might be comparing noise levels to. Even all metal isn't a guarantee depending on material composition and actual use. My KA mixer is the 500 series with metal gears, but, like you I'd do dough and some grinding (before the LEM) and within two years I was replacing the bronze gear that lost it's teeth. I actually bought two replacement gear sets as in my repair process research it became apparent that it's a more common failure on KA mixers than is widely known. So far the first repair has held up well, but that's as likely due to my babying it more.

So, to me the LEM isn't all that loud, but I'm also of a mindset that some noise is to be expected. I don't have unrealistic expectations going in as I suspect some of the negative commenters likely have. Also, I have almost no upper range hearing because of too many hours behind propellers in my youth, so that may color my perceptions as well.

@BethV I hear you on the noise concerns (he, he, he). But I've grown somewhat cynical about the value of many online feedbacks as I think we've talked about on here before. The well known ones like people complaining about cast iron or carbon steel pans being of "inferior materials" because they rusted badly after the first time that commenter ran them through the dishwasher.:rolleyes: If I have first hand experience with a product or product type it's sometimes easy to spot the worthless feedbacks. On other products less familiar the more thoughtful commenters usually frame some manner of context so that you can have somewhat more confidence in their evaluation.

What may be at play with something like these meat grinders is the gearing. For moderate and up volumes of meat, plus partially frozen as is the best recommendation, I opted for an all metal geared unit that is more likely to survive long use over the plastic geared products that most homeowners might be comparing noise levels to. Even all metal isn't a guarantee depending on material composition and actual use. My KA mixer is the 500 series with metal gears, but, like you I'd do dough and some grinding (before the LEM) and within two years I was replacing the bronze gear that lost it's teeth. I actually bought two replacement gear sets as in my repair process research it became apparent that it's a more common failure on KA mixers than is widely known. So far the first repair has held up well, but that's as likely due to my babying it more.

So, to me the LEM isn't all that loud, but I'm also of a mindset that some noise is to be expected. I don't have unrealistic expectations going in as I suspect some of the negative commenters likely have. Also, I have almost no upper range hearing because of too many hours behind propellers in my youth, so that may color my perceptions as well.
@Uncle Bob Thanks for the insight! I always enjoy hearing from you! And as always, I learn a lot!

I have the foot pedal for my LEM 12 and I know it’s not the same model but in looking at the pedal, it shouldn’t matter what model grinder you have. The plug for the grinder plugs into the foot pedal and the foot pedal plugs into the wall. You leave the grinder switch on and the pedal then turns the grinder on or off. As a matter of fact you should be able to use any foot pedal made for grinders and not LEM specific.
One bit of caution, you have to be extra careful when changing, cleaning or opening the blade area and auger. You can accidentally step on the pedal while your fingers are there. You should unplug it when cleaning or changing the plates or blade. You should do this even if you’re not using the pedal.

Late to the game adding my 2¢>>>I have a 1/3hp Gander Mountain Model plastic case.. in most cases is enough to do the job but slightly slow... And then a more expensive Weston pro series all stainless that was given to me. It's 3/4hp and doesn't even flinch...so I'd got with what ever you budget allows. I did see you talking about noise levels.I will say that the cheaper Gander Mtn. Model is louder.
Goodluck

@BethV don't know if you're on the "mailing list" for LEM, but I got a text for a discount code this morning in case you wanted to buy some additional plates and blades or other accessories. For no charge shipping on $60 or more; President21

@BethV don't know if you're on the "mailing list" for LEM, but I got a text for a discount code this morning in case you wanted to buy some additional plates and blades or other accessories. For no charge shipping on $60 or more; President21
@Uncle Bob Thanks! I wound up ordering yesterday. I even called them and asked if they were having any sales coming up for President's Day and they said no. Go figure. I did buy it at Home Depot because it was $60 cheaper and it also has free shipping so I guess I basically got the same deal. LEM did tell me they would price match but only Amazon. Amazon has it $10 more than Home Depot.

Thanks for thinking of me!

Ive been using a Kitchener for a few years now. it was cheap (er) but keeps on going.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a stand alone meat grinder? I want to be able to grind my own meat. Basically from trimmings and purchased meats as well. It would be nice if it had a sausage attachment.

I don't want to use an attachment to my mixer. I know many people do. I would rather get a meat grinder that is designed specifically to grind meat and possibly make sausage. I have a Bosch Universal Plus Mixer which has the ability to have an attachment but the attachment is not rated very well.

I'm also hoping to find one with a small footprint if possible.

Thanks so much!
I have a Lem big bite #8 which grinds all the venison I throw at it. I’m not a commercial processor. Just my 2 or 3 deer a year. I use the large stuffer attachment for summer sausage. I believe a press would be better for that function but I make the lem attachment work.

I have the LEM #22, this thing is a beast, I've lost count of how many deer we have done, probably 4 hogs, and a handful of cows. If that #5 is half the grinder the 22 is you will not be disappointed. We have been careful with our blades and have yet to see a need to replace them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back