Recteq App Connections

orion39

Retired Navy WA
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Backyard Beast 1000
I was unable to connect my App. I have a dual band Modem. And, the rectq app advisory states the 5 GHz will not work. So, I set up a guest network, but I could only get 5GHz. My router is very inflexible, and I was unable to get a dedicated 2.4GHz for my Guest Network. Now I want to make it clear that I am not a techie. Therefore, I was unable to do any peaking and tweaking. Then I went out and purchased a TP-Link Extender. Then, I was able to set up a 2.4 GHz connection. Yet, I was unable to connect to the app. Then I reviewed the Recteq notes and found out that I had to turn off my phone’s VPN. I tried to connect again, and it worked. I am not sure how it will sustain over the long haul, but we will see. On another note, so many of the grills and home items require 2.4GHz. There are some very expensive items that come with WI-FI apps. Most of them are 2.4GHz. I can see lots of frustrations when dealing with routers that are not more flexible. And I mean some of the more expensive ones. I do not know why Recteq uses an app that requires 2.4GHz. But I do not blame them, because it is probably an industry standard. I am sure that Traeger and other grill do the same.

The 2.4 GHz wireless signal penetrates walls better than 5 GHz and usually has better coverage distance. That’s the primary reason 2.4 GHz is preferred by manufacturers.
Yes I understand that. Then why are the routers not more flexible? I use Netgear and Orbi and they intentionally force the 5GHz. Supposedly because it make their setup easier. My extender had the specific setup option to choose the frequency. Orbi does not.

Yes I understand that. Then why are the routers not more flexible? I use Netgear and Orbi and they intentionally force the 5GHz. Supposedly because it make their setup easier. My extender had the specific setup option to choose the frequency. Orbi does not.
Your suspicion about easier setup is probably correct. In addition, people who buy routers are more interested in the latest technology (5G); people who use them to connect lower-tech items (like pellet grills) just want something that works with their product. Different markets for different folks.

The router and access points definitely push 5G for speed for laptops and video streaming devices as these are the fastest growing markets for WiFi. With that said, you should be able to enable 2.4 on virtually any WiFi provider even if you have to give it a separate name.

I saw that you've got a Netgear Orbi and they actually have an advanced option to dedicate a 2.4 connection (under a different network name) just for your Internet of Things (IoT) devices. Log into your Orbi using a web browser on a device connected to your Orbi network http://orbilogin.com/start.htm, click on the "Advanced" pagetab and go to "Wireless Setup". Scroll down and you can define a channel just for your older or dumber devices. Alternatively, you should be able to make your main WiFi network name broadcast in both 2.4 and 5G. Hope this helps.

1715813482273.png

Thank you very much. I will check this out

I can see from your screen print that you have one of the latest Orbi apps. 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6 GHz
I have attached a screen print from my Orbi and it does not have the same options as yours. I tried the extender route instead of trying to upgrade. Anyhow I like the looks of that app. If you do not mind what model system are you running in case I decide to upgrade?

1715817741674.png

Unchecking the 5GHz button in my app has no effect. It still forces 5GHz.

It did not. It went to 5GHz.
I had the same issue with my Orbi, which is one of their earlier models. I would love to upgrade but they are delusional if they think I'm paying $1300 to $2400 to get into Wifi 6 or 7. Not when I only paid around $350 for my current setup which does everything I need including streaming HD to several devices at once. Anyway, to get mine to work I had to turn off all the satellites and then turn the power of the 5ghz antenna down to its lowest level. Once I did that the ReqTec could only see the 2.4ghz signal so it automatically connected.

I actually do blame Recteq because I think it has to do with the wifi board/brand they use. I have a lot of devices that only use 2.4ghz and the Recteq is the only one that has setup issues.

On a side note, I don't think it is necessarily an Orbi issue with the bands, but it is an issue with mesh systems. From what I've read, many of the early mesh systems didn't separate out the bands. No clue why that is. I've actually been looking at upgrading to an Asus router because I want the 2.5/10gig ports. It will be interesting to see if I have issues with the Recteq if I ever do upgrade.

I can see from your screen print that you have one of the latest Orbi apps. 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6 GHz
Yes, I upgraded last year to the Orbi 960 line. It uses 6G as an additional frequency and I actually have one new laptop that can speak 6G. My older router was more than sufficient for my needs until I managed to knock my main router off of my office bookshelf and it took a hard grounder. I did end up having to buy new satellites as well as the main router when I upgraded after my expensive mistake.

I downloaded the user manual for the orbi 960 and reviewed the guest network setup. The screen-print you sent to me provided the clarity that I did not find in the user manual.
I was not able to find any screen prints on line like the one that you sent. It would be nice to be able to see screen prints, before buying. Well enough of that and thanks again. I got to think about my first burn and Cook.

My fix. Solid signals for 5 and 2,4 GHz. Will have to see if it holds up during the first cook. The extender is located outside, under a deck roof and about 10 feet from the grill.

IMG_2922 (Phone).JPG

Since I like to have the app with me while cooking, I drive my RT via smartphone (Pixel 6). I connect phone to 2.4 GhZ channel and then run the 540 from the phone. TP-Link router is broadcasting both channels, but RT only gets commands from cannel my phone is using. Yes RT doesn’t do VPN.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back