Select Brisket

Doublebull

I am tired of cooking select and having the flat come out dry as dust every other time. (Prime and choice are hard to come by here...and select ain't exactly cheap these days)
What is a sure fie method of avoiding this issue? Separating and cooking separately as the two different muscles that they are? Select is a crap shoot with marbling anyway but there has to be a way to mitigate this to where the flat is edible. Yesterday I started probing flat at 180 all the way to 203 and at no time was it"like butta" and when cut after a hour and a half rest it was devoid of any moisture.

I was cooking it for a neighbor who wanted it the next day. Walmart and Super One will occasionally have choice grade mixed in the pile and at select price but of course that could not be found when I needed it.

My self I wait until I run across one of those or Sams has the prime on sale and I freeze them until needed.

Still the select is a nut I would like to crack consistently. Point is always good but flat not so much.

In days past my mother and other women took a flat and slapped it in a crockpot and finished it off with sauce and it was delicious. It was not "BBQ" but it was good.

I have injected with some beef stock and was very pleased with the results. I used Minor's low sodium beef base and made my own so I could sort of control how beefy/salty the mixture would be.

In my experience, there are no “sure fire” methods; just the results of trying different things and keeping careful notes so you can repeat what seems to be working. You are correct that the point and flat muscles are very different and on the lower grades of meat with less marbling, the difference is more noticeable.

Are you wrapping at the stall point; 160 degrees? That’s the old “Texas crutch.” And, when you wrap, are you adding a little liquid? Certainly, injecting up front is the first step, and don’t skimp, especially on the flat.

If you are already injecting and wrapping, then I’m wondering what temperature you are cooking at. Trying to rush brisket with anything over about 220-230 degrees might cause the flat to dry out.

Good luck.

A friend of mine found a source for Wagyu tallow online and swears by injecting it into thinner flats. I haven't tried or tasted it, but it seems like it's an interesting idea.

I like to make an au jus, with beef stock, the rub, Dale's Steak Seasoning, worchestershire, Frank's Hot Sauce, and some bacon fat rendered from heating the mix with a couple strips of bacon in it, in proportions you like. Pour the mixture over the sliced meat and it will be moist and flavorful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back