Show us what you're cooking...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got busy over the weekend so my pork collar (think small 4 lb boneless pork shoulder) got thrown on last night after bathing in oranges, limes, onion, garlic, and various chiles since early Monday morning. I injected as well and used a chipotle/garlic based rub. Almost done.
IMG_0287.jpeg

Not cooking, but if you want the perfect pairing, I have a suggestion, lol. Take that Brisket prices.

View attachment 22137
OK since we are both in Southern CA, let's swipe a set. Odds are low that Gruesome comes after us. We can claim a lapse in judgment due to thirst and never be charged.

OK since we are both in Southern CA, let's swipe a set. Odds are low that Gruesome comes after us. We can claim a lapse in judgment due to thirst and never be charged.
Sounds like a winning idea except my friends in Irvine PD believe in the law, even if no one else in the state does. haha.

I’ve been passing the pork belly in Costco for several months thinking I should make some burnt ends. Yesterday I finally gave in. I sent this picture to my kids and they invited themselves over to the house to “say hi”.
IMG_7277.jpeg

My daughter went to undergraduate school about an hour from here. One of her favorite things I made was Spoonbread. When I thought she had not been home in far too long, I’d send her a picture and said ‘Look what I’m making this weekend.’ Never failed to get her home!

Going on the grill in just a few minutes; fresh, troll-caught Chinook/King salmon filets. Kept the prep simple; kosher salt, coarse black pepper and thin lemon slices. The salmon will stay, on the foil pan, skin side down, during cooking at 200F. Cook time will be determined by when the salmon flakes cleanly; about 30 minutes. I’ve used this approach for years and it always turns out great.

Salmon filets.jpg

Going on the grill in just a few minutes; fresh, troll-caught Chinook/King salmon filets. Kept the prep simple; kosher salt, coarse black pepper and thin lemon slices. The salmon will stay, on the foil pan, skin side down, during cooking at 200F. Cook time will be determined by when the salmon flakes cleanly; about 30 minutes. I’ve used this approach for years and it always turns out great.

View attachment 22159.
16826939520292504358004097765917.jpg

I was going to smoke/cook some pork belly pinwheels yesterday. My plan was to smoke the rubbed belly strips (from my local Costco) for an hour at 225 then wrap into pinwheels, secured with bamboo skewers, glaze with a Korean bbq sauce and finish them at 275. Well, I ran into a problem. Turns out the skin was on the belly strips. WTF!!! I’ve never gotten whole bellies or the strips with skin before from my Costco. I was ticked. I ended up leaving as strips and brushed the strips with the Korean bbq sauce…more of a glaze.

I apologize I didn’t take any pics. I wasn’t that proud of the end product. Tasted great but had to eat the meat off the stiff, mostly inedible skin. I will talk to the Costco meat folks when I go by today. Not happy about the skin on the strips…and no discernible notation on the label that the skin was on it. Lesson learned and I will do a visual check in the future.

I don’t mind the skin on the belly when it’s whole. If I’m making porchetta I score it and crisp it up. Otherwise, it’s easy enough to trim it off. Not so much off a large pack of strips. 😣

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back