Show us what you're cooking...

Today's effort: Burgers and wings and some black bean salad.

burgers and wings 2.jpg
burgers and wings.jpg
wings.jpg

Now that is funny. Thanks for the laugh. Good you can laugh at yourself after what could have been much worse.
Life gets pretty ugly if you can’t laugh at yourself! We have a long history with gymnastics as our daughter was a college gymnast and we’ve seen more than a few less-than-perfect routines. This one was right up there with the best—or, worst. 🤣

Basically a repeat of last night (we never throw away leftovers) except I substituted in fried cabbage in bacon drippings for the black beans. Also had a spinach, grapes and pecan salad to go with it. My wife loves spinach salad with pecans and grapes and I like it ok. The raspberry vinaigrette dressing makes for a nice addition.

salad.jpg
supper.jpg

Had a little backstrap left from 2 does I shot 2 seasons ago. Marinated half in Italian dressing and put a dry rub on the other half. They were on the small side so I pulled them at about 120, then seared them on the gasser for about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Served with some over-roasted sweet potatoes and grilled veggies. We have ourselves a Saturday evening meal. Cheers🍻
E04E47E3-59A5-476B-90BB-DDF09A5A3AC6.jpeg
C1C8CC48-C9C4-48C0-A4C1-48A051DF8388.jpeg

Last edited:
As discussed earlier, I didn’t do the cooking but had a treat. I visited a fairly new BBQ location called Queens in SoCal. Their location is in a neighborhood in Garden Grove which is interesting but should offer enough space if the neighbors don’t run them away with the sweet smells of burning wood, haha. The bottom line is that it was an enjoyable event. The 1000 gallon smokers were custom made in Texas. The pitmaster was very friendly and had it dialed in and was the star of the show, literally. Every team member was pleasant, professional and definitely engaged in making the customer experience enjoyable, which is great since most places that become well known around here forget who got them to the table, the customer! Winnie was not only present, but very approachable. Although famous from her time on TV working on BBQ competition shows and others (think Bobby Flay) her humility and kindness rings true and she is not the typical TV star I encounter in SoCal as she is definitely “keeping it real” and was hands on in the kitchen. If any downside exists, it is that they cook at ~275F so the smell of smoke is present but it does not “ring true” in the meats compared to a true slow cooked (i.e., ~225F) protein. But, everything was tender, flavorful and adequate in quantity considering the somewhat elevated cost for the meal. If you have a chance to visit the area, it is highly recommended. I’ll post more pictures when I have a chance.

IMG_1588 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1587 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1595 Medium 2.jpeg

IMG_1590 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1598 Medium.jpeg

Pork tenderloin done on the RT-340. Marinated for 4 hours, then cooked at 200F until IT was 120F. Boosted the temp to 275F for a 30-minute finish at 140F IT. Rested for 30 minutes wrapped in a beach towel before slicing. It was tender and juicy…and, tasty.

IMG_2739.jpeg

IMG_2740.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks, @Greg Jones. The dinner invite must have gotten lost somewhere in the internet ether. ;)

I do pork tenderloin fairly frequently and haven’t found it that hard to cook. Two things that I think make it easier; marinate for at least three hours (overnight is better) and cook mostly at a lower temperature (180-200F) with a 30-minute finish at 275F to 140F IT. With a 30-minute rest, it will easily coast into the USDA “safe” 145F internal temperature without drying out.

Last edited:
So this is not a recteq cook but thought I would share it anyway. My wife had a business trip to New Orleans last week and on the way back she picked me up a couple of Central Grocery muffuletta sandwiches. I love these things.
Because of storms passing through, her flight was delayed and she had no way to keep the sandwiches cold. Long story short what was to be about a 3-4 hour trip with flight and drive home from the airport turned into a 17 hour ordeal of flight delays. When she got home, we had to throw out the muffulettas as they had spoiled.
Seeing my disappointment, she made some homemade ones that turned out quite good. Not the real thing, but made with love and that makes them extra special.

Muffuletta2.jpg
muffuletta.jpg

So this is not a recteq cook but thought I would share it anyway. My wife had a business trip to New Orleans last week and on the way back she picked me up a couple of Central Grocery muffuletta sandwiches. I love these things.
Because of storms passing through, her flight was delayed and she had no way to keep the sandwiches cold. Long story short what was to be about a 3-4 hour trip with flight and drive home from the airport turned into a 17 hour ordeal of flight delays. When she got home, we had to throw out the muffulettas as they had spoiled.
Seeing my disappointment, she made some homemade ones that turned out quite good. Not the real thing, but made with love and that makes them extra special.

View attachment 21670View attachment 21671
Used to love those things when I lived down there (not from Central Grocery, though). I made the mistake of ordering a whole one my first time. The lady behind the counter looked at me funny. I figured out why when they brought it my table. 🙂

I don't trim fat cap and do wrap when it hits the stall or 160, which ever comes first. This one went about 5.5 hours to 160 internal with a grill temp of 220, then I wrapped it in foil and bumped the temp up to 275 and it went for another 1.5 hours until it hit internal temp of 197 when I FTCed it for another hour and carryover brought it up to 203. One of the most moist, tender pulled porks I have ever done. Would have rested it longer but was ready to eat!
“FTCed”???

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back