Select Bear Mountain Pellets at Walmart

Oak?

It seems oak is frowned upon (at least in blends).

Any comments on using 100% Oak from bear mountain ?

I had used LJ oak some time ago but no longer available.
Years ago, I used to buy BBQrs Delight pellets BECAUSE they used oak as their filler…versus Traeger pellets that used to use alder as their filler. And I used to get a couple of bags of 100% oak pellets. I especially like using them when grilled steaks and burgers.

That was over 15 years ago with my old Traeger BBQ075. Both pellet grills and pellets have come a long way since then. Evolution works that way. 😊. Some pellets use fillers, some use 100% of the flavor wood, some use flavor “agents”, and there are probably some that use other techniques.

I’ve tried many brands and “flavors” of pellets. Last fall I bought half-pallet of CookinPellets.com pellets because I’ve gotten good results with them.

My observation with wood pellets is the more they are handled in their overall distribution chain, the more “beat up” they are…resulting in a lot of dust and little bits and pieces. I try to stay away from that because it works for me.

I’ve read it on this forum before…probably from one of the BBQers on this thread. That sage advice is…buy whatever pellets you can afford and works for you. Pretty much all of them will produce good results for you.

I use Cookin pellets perfect mix exclusively on my 590.

For the sake of entertainment I thought it might be educational to try 100% Oak.

As a test for anyone that can’t tell the difference in pellets, I offer up Mesquite. If you can’t tell Mesquite from Hickory, Pecan, or even fruit blended varieties, it is time to purchase from a better vendor. I have to assume my pallet is different than most as I can tell the difference in flavor if I use one type in my hopper and another in my smoke tube. YMMV.

As a test for anyone that can’t tell the difference in pellets, I offer up Mesquite. If you can’t tell Mesquite from Hickory, Pecan, or even fruit blended varieties, it is time to purchase from a better vendor. I have to assume my pallet is different than most as I can tell the difference in flavor if I use one type in my hopper and another in my smoke tube. YMMV.

Yup me as well, I also have a ridiculous sense of smell which I know just accentuates flavors too.

So I just saw that Bear Mountain is selling a few of their blended pellets at Walmart (and Walmart.com with free delivery/shipping) at basically 50% off of their normal prices. They don't have all of their varieties. I just picked up a couple of bags, but the first one hasn't cleared the hopper into the firepot yet, but at $11.99 for 20 pounds from a reputable supplier I think it was worth a shot.

Anyone else try them yet?
I've used Pit Boss pellets from Wal Mart in my 380 since new in 2021. I've never had a problem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back